Duodenal Switch ( BPD/SA) Biliopancreatic Diversion
The duodenal switch surgery (also known as biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch) combines the sleeve gastrectomy with an intestinal bypass which increases the metabolic power of the procedure.
- Results in greater weight loss than other surgical weight loss options.
- Allows patients to eventually eat near “normal” meals
- Reduces the absorption of fat by 70 percent or more
- Causes favorable changes in gut hormones to reduce appetite and improves the feeling fullness
- Is the most effective against diabetes compared to RYGB, LSG, and AGB
- Long-term weight loss, particularly for patients with a higher BMI (BMI of 55 or more).
- Higher chance of chronic diarrhea and foul smelling flatulence.
- Inability to absorb enough vitamins and minerals to maintain proper nutritional levels.
- Requires strict adherence to the postoperative diet and to postoperative follow-up visits
Contact Dr. Andrei to schedule a complimentary consultation to assess if this weight loss procedure is an appropriate surgical option for you.