LAP-BAND®, it is a hollow band made of silicon placed around the stomach near its upper end, creating a small pouch with a narrow passage into the larger remainder of the stomach. Following the initial surgery, the band itself can be tightened or loosened over time to change the size of the passage creating a slowing in the passage of the food.
- No re-routing of the intestine.
- No opening of the stomach or intestine.
- Shorter hospital stay.
- Reduced chances of nutritional deficiencies.
- Band is adjustable and reversible.
- Potential for injury to stomach during surgery.
- Slower weight loss than other surgical procedures
- Requires a foreign device to remain in the body
- Can result in dilation of the esophagus if the patient overeats
- Requires strict adherence to the postoperative diet and to postoperative follow-up visits
- Slipping of the band can require further surgery.
Contact Dr. Andrei to schedule a complimentary consultation to assess if this weight loss procedure is an appropriate surgical option for you.